Appeals Fact Sheet

When tenants and applicants are not satisfied with Homes North’s decisions about something that affects their tenancy, they have the right to make an appeal. An appeal is a formal review process that checks if Homes North’s decision was right or wrong.


Homes North will listen to your concerns

If you think we have made the wrong decision about something that affects your tenancy, you should first talk to the person who made the decision. You may also talk to another Homes North staff member and they will listen to your concerns.


If you are still not comfortable or happy with the decision, you can lodge an Appeals form which means you want the decision to be further reviewed.


Homes North cannot review some decisions

Some decisions cannot be reviewed or appealed, for example; repairs, maintenance and lease issues that come under the NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal (NCAT). For more advice contact Homes North.


How to lodge an appeal:

  • You have three (3) months from the date of the original decision to ask for a review and to put in an appeal.
  • Fill out the relevant Appeals form found on our website or at our head office.
  • Ask for help if you cannot fill out the form, for example, a relative, friend or community worker fill out the form on your behalf.
  • Homes North staff members can also help you with writing the appeal on your behalf.
  • Talk to Homes North staff if you need someone to explain what extra information you may need to attach.


After you lodge an appeal, Homes North  needs time to review your appeal

From the time we receive your written appeal, an Homes North staff member – who was not involved in making the original decision – will review your appeal. It usually takes 20 working days to be completed. It may sometimes take longer, if we need further information from you or another party. After we have completed the review, we will send a letter to you. The letter will tell you of our decision and the reasons for our response.


Tenants have the option of going to the Housing Appeals Committee

If you believe our decision on your appeal is still not right, you can ask for another review from the Housing Appeals Committee. This is an independent agency that reviews decisions of community housing providers and Housing NSW.


Support with an Appeal


  • New England & Western Tenants Advice & Advisory Service (NEWTAAS): 1800 836 268
  • Northern NSW Aboriginal Tenants Advice & Advisory Service (NATAAS): 1800 248 913
  • Housing Appeals Committee: 1800 629 794
  • NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal – 1300 006 228
  • NSW Ombudsman –
  • Community Justice Centres – 1800 990 777
Download Appeals Fact Sheet